nimitzbrood: (Default)
( Mar. 14th, 2014 12:37 pm)
Taking a slight break. So far...

Paid the main bills.

Bought some replacement stuffs and repair parts. Ordered tire for car on E-Bay. Gasoline for the car.

Moved boat motors into the garage from the 'cave.

Filled 5 gallon gas can and gave half to our neighbor who plowed our driveway all winter. Will give him more gas next 15th if I can.

Started dishes in dishwasher with citric acid included.

Soaked and unplugged dying showerhead. Again using citric acid. The tiny rubber sprayers are breaking off so it's time to replace it. I did get a replacement mount for it though for about $3 as the current one is cracked and will break soon.

Did beginning bathroom cleaning. Need to get cotton makeup strips and bleach as well as a replacement toilet seat and more toilet cleaner. (A solid plastic seat this time. I'd love to replace both toilets but good ones cost and I kinda want to get one with a bidet built in eventually. Properly configured those don't make a mess and cut WAY down on toilet paper.)

Treated myself to McDonalds sausage McMuffin this morning and am trying not to go to Wendy's today for lunch but probably will. I don't eat a lot of beef any more but I do like a greasy burger every so often.

Also I did buy one completely frivolous thing. I bought a small sign for the kitchen that says "Remember as far as everyone knows we are a nice normal family". I just couldn't pass it up. ;-)
nimitzbrood: (Default)
( Mar. 13th, 2014 12:54 pm)
So...been a bit busy since December 21st. Thing haven't slowed down really. Family stuff both close and extended, work stuff - company rebranded - no not bought out just name change, money troubles, adopted a Lhasa Ahpso named Bartek, weird weather, etc.

So today and tomorrow I'm off work and after helping get the kid off to school and taking the dogs out I puttered on the computer a bit until 9 am Central. Then I crashed until my wife called me about 30 minutes ago. The body must have been worn out a bit because I hit the bed and didn't move or shift that whole time. Of course that leaves me sore a little.

So now I've eaten something and am vertical again sort of. Going to try and get moving on stuff here a little but seriously sluggish. I think it's just the wind-down from being on top of everything for 3+ months. Think I'm gonna start playing the lotto. It's about time I won. ;-P

Read On MacDuff! )


Ponyville must be late with Winter Wrap-up again. ;-P
Lucky I did too. I found two pieces of 2" pink foam insulation board. Took them downstairs and the one when cut into pieces and patched back together was enough to cover all the gaps in the wood of the basement door to prevent airflow. The other was enough to completely cover the leaky egress window.

So hoping that helps warm things up down there. My only concern is that it'll keep getting colder outside. Now I'm not particularly worried about losing heat in the basement when that happens but rather the opposite.

See I recently cut the ducts down there and installed registers to blow heat into the space at the expense of heat in the hallway and library upstairs. (Not really because I don't have the upstairs registers closed all the way and the floor joists aren't insulated so any heat heats the room above.) Ran this by a friend who does HVAC and he cleared it so we are good there.

This normally isn't an issue except that the furnace has no feedback for that room down there. So what happens is that the furnace runs longer when it gets colder out and it pumps more heat into that room.

Freeze Cave becomes Steam Cave.

That said these are normal registers so I can just close them if it gets too hot or open the ones upstairs all the way again. There is some regulation.

Worse comes to worse I open the cover to the rest of the crawl space and use a fan to exhaust excess heat into the uninsulated floor joists of the rest of the house. I'll run that by my HVAC friend too just in case it could cause some weird furnace feedback loop with the furnace installed in that space and all.

Hoping it starts to warm up here soon. I need to shuffle things between the basement and the garage not the least of which is the main server rack if I can get it to fit downstairs that is.
nimitzbrood: (Default)
( Feb. 9th, 2014 07:47 am)
So as of Friday that was officially the last day our company had a physical office presence. We are waiting to see if the bid on the new office is accepted. If so that means we'll have an office in downtown Chicago for client meetings and company functions. Regardless that means we're working at home from this point on.

Not a bad thing as we're getting to expense out several things that shall help greatly. And I won't have to really drive anywhere so that's good.

Still that means I have a lot of work to do today. I need to dig out the path to the garage so I can put the boat motors that are in the basement out there and bring the couch that is out there into the basement. Then I have to dig my way to the shed and unbury and set up the two desks in there so I can get all my monitors working with my notebook. (For the record I'll be up to 5 total for one machine.)

That means I won't be able to plug in the heater but since I put the register into the heating duct it's only a degree or two shy of 60F down there now. And the colder it gets out the warmer it gets down there because the furnace runs more often. That said I'm going to put a second register down there in the other run so it adds just a little more.

Finished Chapter 10 of Becoming Twilight and posted it last week. Starting to get into the swing of things again but still slow going. I have to figure out where I'm going with Conversations with Raava as well as all the other stories I've let sit fallow.

Got a second Barnes and Noble gift card from my in-laws yesterday for my birthday. As I was within range of a store I ran over and got myself one of the nice hardback versions of The Hobbit (the green version) and a five book set of the Percy Jackson novels. (I put $25 on the credit card to do that but that should get easily covered by my expense check when it comes in.)

Currently driving on a donut still. The one tire that had broken a belt finally gave up the ghost and broke the bead on the rim. Gotta find a new tire come payday. Hopefully that won't be too expensive. I should buy two but that's likely not gonna happen.

Iritis is all but gone. Still on steroid drops but weaning off. Two a day for this week then one a day for next week then done. After that I go back for a visit and among other things get an updated prescription. Thinking about trying contacts again so I can use conventional eyeware things like sunglasses and such. Contacts have come a long way since when I first tried them as a kid so I'm hoping it'll be a totally different experience.

All of the above aside I really just want to go back to sleep but I can't do that. I need to get moving for a lot of reasons. It sucks but I haven't really had a break since Winter Solstice and am not likely to get one until after March 1st as I'm on call again. Still if I can actually motivate today despite the cold I should be able to get things done.

But honestly I'd love to stay inside and read my books with some hot chocolate.
Well besides my 40GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD suddenly not responding in my Dell D620 I also ended up in the ER yesterday evening and at the ophthalmologist today.

So yesterday midday or so I got a sharp pain that I described to my co-worker as a tiny gnome stabbing the back of my eyeball. Took some Advil and it went away. Took a nap after work and after waking up I was all of a sudden re-attacked by said gnome every time the light levels changed. Did some digging and tested and sure enough if I covered the right eye which hurt and shone light into the left eye it caused pain in the right eye. Only thing I found with that symptom was Iritis or internal inflammation of the eyeball.

So we go to the ER and spend a couple hours there while my sister-in-law watched our daughter. The ER doc mis-diagnoses as a corneal abrasion. I've had those before and this felt nothing like that. So they send us home with topical drops and the number for the optho for tomorrow.

Today we call and get an appointment with the optho late afternoon. I stay off work and hide in the dark hissing like a bad vampire every time I'm exposed to light.

We go to the doc and she does tests and comes up with the same thing I self-diagnosed as - Iritis. No cause that we can come up with though between us.

So now I have to put Prednesone drops in my eyes once an hour and a dilator drop twice a day for about a week. Advil seems to be keeping the pain away for the moment but that's not what concerns me. What concerns me is that these steroid drops have a 50% change of causing white cataracts down the road.

For now though I'm just going to roll with the punches and stick with my new found look of an alternate universe Golden Age retired Nick Fury sporting an eye patch over my right eye and prescription sunglasses.
nimitzbrood: (Default)
( Dec. 23rd, 2013 11:21 am)
Sorry but I need to vent a little. I've put all the venting behind a cut so feel free to ignore this post. No. Seriously. Ignore it.

The whining begins here... )
Conversations with Raava - Chapter 1 - by Mike Hebel

The sky was clear and blue above Air Temple Island and a small breeze blew Korra’s hair into her face as she meditated atop an outcropping of rock overlooking Republic City.
Read More )
nimitzbrood: (Default)
( Nov. 26th, 2013 11:45 pm)
So...I've come to the horrible conclusion that I'm going to have to completely shelve or even give up some things that I'm either trying to do or doing. This isn't because I don't want to do them. Far from it! In point of fact there are far too many things I want to do and too little time to do them! (BTW - I know I've probably been repeato-boy on this subject before but please indulge me.)

First. The things I'm not giving up.

1 - writing. It costs me nothing but time and sanity to do and is near to my heart. And that's not going away any time soon. (A side to writing is sketching. I'm a visual person and sometimes the picture writes the story.)

2 - Jewelry. I have so many drawings and ideas of things I want to do and actually have most of the materials to do what I want that I will never get them all done.

3 - Fishing. I find that not only do I enjoy going out on the boat but I enjoy the solitude of night fishing quite a bit.

4 - Computers. Programming will likely never be a skill I'll come to know more than in passing but I do enjoy putting them all together and keeping them running and running odd things on them.

5 - Growing things. Not sure where or when but I will have a garden again even if it's a shelf of tiny herbs somewhere in the house.

Those are the big five. I'm not saying those are permanent because people change their minds all the time but those are the four I am going to try and focus on from here on out.

Things I am going to stop doing for now:

1 - Music. Trying to learn an instrument, or music in general, is something that I've come to the conclusion I don't want enough yet. Down the road if I decide differently it'll become number 6 but for now it's on hold.

2 - Craft Woodworking. I enjoy it. When I take my time I'm even good at it. But it requires time and resources that I just can't spare and like the music I just don't want it bad enough.

3 - Metalwork. I love the smell of heated metal and the sparks from a welder or hammer. The problem is that I don't have the time or space for it. And right now no money for it either.

4 - Electronics work. Hobby circuitry and even some repairs are now on hold. I'll still have a workshop space set up for them but it'll be for repair mainly.

5 - Paper/Journal making. Yet another thing I don't have time or resources for and frankly don't want it bad enough to keep it within even a secondary focus.

6 - Animation. This is something I've got the software and skills to do but not the time.

7 - Video Editing. Same as animation. Both take up extreme blocks of time that I just can't spare.

8 - Prop making. I love it and it often can be done on minimal resources but requires more time and a better workshop as well as a focus. I can't spare any of those right now.

9 - Singing. For years I've been trying to work on my voice and frankly unless I want to sing bad Country it's not anywhere up to any par at all. Again. I don't want it enough. It's not like I'll never utter another note it's just that it's no longer on the plate right now. (Strangely this one seems to hurt more than the others. Probably because it was higher up years ago but without the music thing, time, and will I can't keep it up at this time.)

10 - I've said this one before No matter how hard I try and how hard I know the realities of it my mind still wants to go to the stars. I know that unless they develop anti-gravity and warp drive tomorrow I'm unlikely to ever leave this planet. This is unbelievably hard for me to give up on. I keep thinking..."someday"... But it's never going to happen and it's taking up mental cycles I could really REALLY use elsewhere.

All said that's the list for now. Things shift and change so this might not be the list a year from now.

Right now? Sleep. Then cleaning the house tomorrow so it's clean for visiting friends.
nimitzbrood: (Default)
( Nov. 24th, 2013 09:24 pm)
For some reason I've put a great deal of thought into what happens when a timelord regenerates. Here's my take on it:

Time is wibbly-wobbly timey wimey. What that means to me is that as humans we see it as linear but timelords see it differently. But since we're humans I'll try and explain it in a framework we can understand. It's an old framework that others have used but seems to suffice.

Let us for the moment make the assumption that time is in at least one way linear. Like old celluloid film it moves from one instant to the next ever advancing.

Now, let's suppose that there are no reels to collect it and that it tends to ball up and bend and twist all around itself. So much so that it becomes incredibly tangled to the point of some moments touching other moments. If you had the ability to see it you could see moments that were completely unrelated to where you are and what was happening at your particular moment.

Let’s assume timelords have that ability. It’s been more than hinted at and I’m willing to leave that as a given.

So what happens when a timelord regenerates?

Well we know that there’s an incredible release of energy. We also know that the timelord becomes someone different. I think that during this process two things happen.

One of the classical views of time is that moment to moment the timestream splits from itself to create new streams as events happen in the universe.

Now as timelords are tied to the universe through the time vortex what I believe happens is that when a timelord regenerates he splits off into a new timeline within the larger whole of the time vortex.

If we go back to our film analogy this means that the previous incarnation of the timelord in question goes off on his own personal timeline creating another ribbon of film that continues to make it’s own tangled ball.

The fresh regeneration starts a fresh timeline but two things happen. First the energy spent to regenerate pushes them rapidly along the new timeline. This is one reason why timelords don’t cross their own timelines immediately after a regeneration - because the universe is pushing them apart.

Second the energy spent during their regeneration kind of obscures their past view. A sort of burnt spot on the film so to speak. Kind of like being able to remember past events from years ago but not remembering what you had for lunch.

(This could also be the reason for only 13 regenerations. Maybe massive dementia sets in after that or something. Pure speculation on my part though.)

Then as the timelords move down their own personal timelines the film bundle/ball/whatnot gets larger and more tangled. Once all that happens there certainly will be random contacts between old regeneration timelines and new.

This also explains why past regenerations often look older than when they originally split off. They have not only lost a certain part of their energy creating the new regeneration but they have aged along their own personal timeline as well.

As for previous regenerations not recalling information when meeting newer ones I don’t have a full explanation. Perhaps though when they contact their own timelines there is a push akin to the same magnetic polarity keeping itself away from each other. The universe never seems to want two things occupying the exact same place in time and space. That’s been clearly said in the show in both older episodes and newer ones.

Perhaps as a self defense mechanism the universe prevents something (or in this case someone) from becoming more like another object that it’s already very close to. The fields repel and the information between them during their brief contact is wiped out but not evenly.

Remember that a past regeneration has spent some of his energy and is thus weaker than the newer one. That certainly would make me believe that more of the stronger one remains after a meeting than the weaker one.

Thus newer regenerations remember new data after crossing their own timestreams while older ones do not.

Timey Wimey for me to get some Sleepy Weepy. ;-)
So many things afoot at our household. That and work is why I haven't been posting.

Work itself seems to be going well but busy. Looking forward to several things including another visit from my friend from Tokyo among other things.

Mundania abounds it seems. Had to move my boat into the driveway today as I got a letter from the city saying it had to be off the grass. Thankfully we have the space to do that. I talked to the inspector and she said that as long as it's on a hard surface that the grass can't grow through it is acceptable. So seeing as I'm going to go with raised beds anyways that means I can put down landscape fabric and patio stones behind the garage and store it back there. Will also likely winterize and store the bike back there as well once I'me finished working with it. Need to call her back and confirm my suspicions that a pole and fabric structure is not considered permanent. If that's the case then I'll put up one of those temporary tent style garages back there and that will keep the weather off the boat and bike and I won't have to get expensive covers for them.

Speaking of money have to spend more of it on the Neon as it is required to have an emissions test in January. Kind of annoyed by that as they sent out a letter a couple of years ago that they will not be testing anything older than 2000 and Dorothy is a 1998.

I should be out repairing the brake line on my truck but I'm sitting here listening to a jiggle canner. Today's canning is three quarts of chili without beans, two quarts of water, and two experimental quarts of unsweetened green tea that I cold brewed. Not sure how that last one is going to come out but if it works then I can make and store up green tea indefinitely and save myself a lot of time. (I drink a LOT of green tea daily.)

Finally got us switched over to Comcast Business Class for our Internet. All the servers and DNS are all moved over and so far things seem to be working without issue. In our area at least Business Class and Residential use two different support groups so the experience is VERY different. And I'm paying what I was paying with the other DSL service and getting 15x more speed. And for those of you techies out there that run your own equipment they will put the router in Bridge Mode if I ask. :-)

Still no word on if the office is moving or not. Hopefully we'll find that out soon. The one lady at the office said that if they sell it likely means working completely at home for up to a year. I can easily work with that. With the upgraded connectivity and a Skype phone number I can forward my work line to it seems to function quite well. Some odd issues related to Skype but nothing I can't take care of.

All that aside I'm going to focus on getting at least the basics resolved in the basement and move my computer space down there. That way I don't have to heat the workshop as much during winter. (We used 1300 therms last February) Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to be able to get the large computer rack down there without altering the door. I may have to just build one in the corner. I've got another rack that might fit but it has no sides and is about twice the weight. Time will tell. Cleaning up any moisture and electrical issues down there come first though.

Things I've been reading....some of it is fanfic from MLP:FIM circles but two books I read and loved were the Order of the Air books by Melissa Scott. Well worth reading. Also just bought and started War Maid's Own by David Weber. We'll see how that one pans out. I'd like to read more Seanan McGuire stuff but I'm so far behind it isn't funny. The last book I read by her was A Local Habitation. I just can't afford to pick them up right now. Hopefully I'll be able to pick a couple of her books up by Yule.

Money seems to be getting a little better but I'm not going to focus on that. I'll just keep holding back on most of the spending and keep moving forward. Patio stones and exhaust parts for Dorothy are high on the list of next things to buy. Just keep plugging away at it...

Anyways I'm going to go back to listening to the canner jiggle and I promise I will try and post more often. :-)
nimitzbrood: (Default)
( Sep. 15th, 2013 11:33 am)
So we got some things done in the yard yesterday thanks to the minions lent to me by The Duck (my sister - I'll explain that later) and I paid them according to what I felt they did.

And I was not unimpressed. They worked and worked well and did not complain. That was well worth the money. The Duck makes good minions.
Rambling among the brambles... )
Warning! This is Linux geekery so avoid if not interested!

So recently my Dell E1505 laptop gave up the ghost. It may just be the video card and thankfully on that laptop it's swappable.

This of course meant I needed a replacement as my personal daily driver. I pressed my writing platform into service immediately. It's a 2007 MacBook 2.16ghz Core 2 Duo with 3GB of ram and a 30GB SSD. It's running Linux Mint 13 Maya LTS. (I so want a large SSD drive but they are EXPEN$IVE!)

This is great because it's fast, lightweight, and will be supported until 2017. Cinnamon is a little slow on this box but not unbearable.

The one thing that I could not STAND and I'm surprised I withstood it the last 5 Chapters I just typed up is that I would get strange random clicks of the mouse.

The symptoms would be that you would be typing along and suddenly it would highlight your text and then next minute you'd type over what you just typed. Other symptoms included activating random functions in whatever program you were running as the mouse cursor would move over some button then click on it.

What I found after a lot of research was that the Synaptic touchpad was never truly disabling that bane of my laptop experience Tap-To-Click. It would say it was disabled but then it would still randomly work. Now it did this to a lesser degree on other notebooks but on the Macbook it was far beyond annoying.

I did FINALLY find a solution that all but eliminates the issue. The following synclient commands are what killed it:

synclient MaxTapTime=0
synclient MaxDoubleTapTime=0

I put this command in /etc/rc.local and I put a script in /etc/pm/sleep.d:

nimitz@RGM/etc/pm/sleep.d $ ls

10_grub-common 14_disabletaptoclick
10_unattended-upgrades-hibernate novatel_3g_suspend

nimitz@RGM/etc/pm/sleep.d $ more 14*

case $1 in
synclient MaxTapTime=0
synclient MaxDoubleTapTime=0


This has managed to 100% eliminate the issue for me. There are other issues with the mouse such as when it wanders into a hot corner while I'm typing but not much I can do yet about that one.

Hope someone finds this information useful! :-)

(Edit: Updated this post to also include synclient MaxDoubleTapTime=0 )

(Keywords: linux mint maya 13 tap click random highlight mouse trackpad synaptics disable)
People I've met over the years have mentioned having the same problem I do where I can't shut down my mind enough to fall asleep. It's like constantly having wheels turning at high speed and once you quiet one of them you realize how many others there are and spend time rushing from one thing to another trying to calm things down enough to get some sleep.

At least one writer I know has this problem to such a degree that she once said she banged her cranium on the headboard of her bed in an effort to knock herself unconscious. I'm not there yet thankfully but nights like this make me come close.

The problem as usual is that I'm awake. Sounds simple right? Why don't I try being _not_ awake? Frankly it doesn't work that way. Once I'm awake I have so many things and ideas that I can't focus. If I can't focus I can't quiet my mind. If I can't quiet my mind there's no way in hell I'm going to get to sleep. Add the restless legs and arms. Always feeling too warm unless a fan is blowing directly on me. Any little house noise puts me on guard and I have to get up and check it out.

It all adds up to sleepless nights.

Often I get chided for taking naps but honestly I need them. I've always needed them. If my body and mind decide to put me out for a couple hours so much the better. And often those naps help far more than sleeping in on Sunday. (Which BTW is the only day I really am able to sleep in these days.)

So what do I do on these nights? Well sometimes I converse with other sleepless friends across the world. Sometimes I write. (Chapter 6 of Becoming Twilight is up BTW. I finished it tonight.) Other nights I sketch but that doesn't happen too often. Most often what happens is I either try and go to sleep then fail and am up on the web all night until I'm too exhausted to stay awake. Or I sleep an hour or two, get up, go back to bed and sleep another hour or two, lather, rinse, repeat.

Tonight it was writing plus reading a manga online - Arakawa Under the Bridge. Between that I seem to have started to exhaust my brain with just enough time to get enough sleep to function.

Provided the phone doesn't ring with a 911 tech support call that is.

I swear if I could get away with taking a sedative every night to knock me out I would. So far only heavy sedatives seem to work properly. Everything else works in reverse and spins the wheels even faster. Meditation helps sometimes. Exercise other times. Nothing seems to be consistent. I even stop being affected by the sedatives in a relatively short period of time.


Looks like the lunar princess wants a visit with me finally. Good night!
So as of this morning I've decided I will never again buy store bought marshmallows. My wife and I made a double batch of one of the millions of simple recipes found on the Internets. I powdered them this morning and tasted one and OMG! Awesome! Going to attempt to cover the one batch with chocolate. (If I can properly temper a bunch of semisweet chips today that is.)

My neighbor was kind enough to give me a spare regulator for my grill and I replaced the burners on it so now able to grill stuff again after years of nor having one. YAY! Grilled some corn on the cob yesterday that was WONDERFUL! Also some baked potatoes that my wife didn't get any of.

Going to start using that grill like there's no tomorrow as long as I can afford vegetables. I love grilled vegetables.
Speaking of vegetables... )
nimitzbrood: (Default)
( Jul. 7th, 2013 05:53 pm)
Mmmmmmm! Brake fluid! Mmmmmm!

So just finished the test drive in Dorothy and after replacing the brake hose no more sticking caliper! It might be a simple repair but I'll take the wins where I can get them. I didn't realize until I drove it today how much resistance that sticking caliper was causing. The car moves much more freely now obviously.

Now this means I likely have to save up and buy the right-hand caliper and hose and preemptively replace that. (I have the rotor and pads for that side already.)

Still working from home since the office flooded. I estimate another week at least of this if not more. Frankly it's forcing me to get my personal workspace into much better shape.

In an effort to help curb the cooling costs out there I put a long piece of `1/2" conduit and three 8 mil shower curtains along the central beam of the workshop separating the mechanic/craft/etc. space from the cooled computer/man cave space. Not a really good seal but it works well enough that I can feel a temp differential between the two bays.

Currently reading:

A Dance with Dragons
Fallout Equestria (the original)

I'm two-thirds of the way through 'Dance but decided to take a break from it and read something lighter. Well...if you could call MLP fanfic written in a distopian future lighter that is. And frankly Fallout Equestria is very well written.

Got the tire for my motorcycle. Unfortunately I can't get the old tire off the rim and don't want to force it because it's a deep bead aluminum rim from the 80's and could potentially crack. That means I'll have to take it somewhere. Unfortunately that means another week because I can't afford the money yet.

So I've started brewing cheap green tea without sugar and re-using the plastic tea bottles from previously bought tea and it's working out pretty well. I can drink it easily and it's good for me. I've also made green tea popsicles with sugar and those turned out really well. I did do a batch of 4 without sugar but the jury is still out on those.

Daughter didn't sleep much last night. We're keeping her awake as we speak so she sleeps tonight. I really didn't sleep last night either until 8 am today then slept until about 10:30 - 11:00 or so. I was awake all night trying to keep our daughter in her bed and reading so my wife can get some sleep. All to no avail. Daughter is throwing a fit about having to stay awake now. :-(

Regardless I'm off to try and do something to keep cool....
So far what it turned out to be was the main clip-style ground wire from one side of the driver's side transmission mount to the other. Replaced that with a bolted style ground wire and the PCM fuse no longer blows. Wheee! That said if it blows on the way to work I've got a whole bag of fuses to get me to work and back. XD (Yes yes I know that repeated fuse replacement can cause issues. I"m of the opinion after a couple of test drives yesterday that she's fixed.)

Got the tire for the motorcycle in this week. Got the wheel off the bike but couldn't get the old tire off the rim. The rim is too deep for me to properly grab the tire bead. :-( That means I'll have to take the wheel somewhere and get it done. No big but as usual money I didn't want to spend.

On a brighter note those of you interested in classic computing will like this - I now have a virtualized Vax running OpenVMS 7.3 on it. It's running on a NetBSD VM using SIMH. I'm trying to get Circlemud to build on it but it's got a bug in it somewhere as it crashes when it tries to load zones. Fun stuff. :-)

Well I just heard my wife get out of the shower so I need to get going to work now that I can drive myself there. A good week to all those I know! :-)
So as expected father's day has come and gone. This year was good for me as I got to rest. (Well I worked on my mother's computer since she brought it down but that was to be expected.)

I got many things done including reading more Game of Thrones but this afternoon I was relaxing and for a lark I searched for Doctor Who things on Pinterest.

That comes up with like a billion awesome things. :-)

But it brought back something that I told my wife once. If the Tardis and The Doctor show up on my doorstep and those blue doors open for me I will be gone in a heartbeat. Amd my wife understands this. (I'm fairly certain if a blue box showed up for her she'd be gone as well but I digress.)

It wasn't until today though that I understood something I hadn't before. I understand why I would go now even though I have a wife and child.

As a father you couldn't help but go. Not if you're any responsible persona that is.

It would be a great adventure. It would show me things I've never seen in my life and fill me with wonder beyond imagining. But something else would happen.

The Doctor helps people. He helps people all across the universe. He helps make the universe a better place. A safer place. A more fantastic and wondrous place. A place that a child should grow up in and experience.

And that right there is the reason that would make all the difference. I would go because it's the one chance in my lifetime to help make the universe safer and more stable on a larger scale than just my two hands and my tiny life. And that's something that I can't pass up. The opportunity to make the universe a safer place for my family.

Yes I know I can and am working to make the universe a stable place for my wife and child right here and now. But one thing that I learned a long time ago is that even though it doesn't seem like it when you help others you get that help back in return.

So by helping stablize some part of the universe on a grander scale I would be helping to stabilize my own piece of the universe.

And even if I never returned I'd know that I'd done more than most fathers and husbands could ever do to help keep their family safe.

I realize how crazy this all sounds but in the end I couldn't choose any other path if it came to me.
So congratulations are in order. My long time friend in Japan (Ken) has produced one:

6.9 lb baby girl - name Serena

May her thread in the tapestry of the universe be curvy but not tangled and bright and shiny. *bows*

And may her mother be blessed with a quick recovery, good health, and long life.


Damn. Now I'm going to have to find a baby gift. ;-)
nimitzbrood: (Default)
( Jun. 2nd, 2013 10:41 pm)
I once posted the idea of inserting Brita filters into PVC pipes to make your own water filtration system. It just occurred to me that this could also be used to purify air. The flow would be greatly reduced but for confined areas this could be used to push a slightly purified air. It might look like a Blue Man Group bank of pipes but it would work.

It also occurs to me that these would be an idea method to cheaply scrub CO2 from a confined space. 1) Recirculate the CO2 laden air through the filter. 2) After X period of time pump regular air through the filter to "regenerate" the carbon. Granted algae might be a better solution overall but that requires water and a dry source is much easier to use.


nimitzbrood: (Default)
Mike Hebel


RSS Atom

Most Popular Tags

Powered by Dreamwidth Studios

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags